After last night’s soup not working out, I was a little nervous to make another *new to me* soup tonight but this one turned out great! I pinned it a long time ago but finally got all of the ingredients to make it tonight.
The Lasagna Soup recipe is from A Farmgirl’s Babble – I’m just writing it on here in case I ever lose the recipe 🙂
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1.5 lb Italian sausage (I didn’t use this much – I’m not a huge IS fan so I’ll probably use turkey meat next time!)
- 1 c. chopped onions (recipes calls for 3 cups but that’s all I had!)
- .5 tbsp garlic powder (recipe calls for garlic cloves but I didn’t have any)
- 2 tsp. oregano
- .5 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable stock (recipe calls for used chicken stock)
- 8 oz. fusilli pasta
- Recipe calls for basil but I forgot that
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage or whatever meat you want into bite sized pieces, then brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente.
The recipe also calls for a “cheesy yum” but since I don’t do well with cheese, I left that off. Check out the other website if you’d like that! 🙂
Even after everything I forgot / changed, it still turned out great!
… And then I proceeded to almost break my toe while slamming it into a door. I guess my accident-prone / sick-prone streak isn’t over yet, huh?
Anyway, I recommend this soup – it’s really good!